Featured at Farm to Fork Fondo - Maine. Try this miniature version of the classic Italian salad. So simple, so summery, so fresh! Pick up the mozzarella, basil and cherry tomatoes from your local farmers' market.
- 1/2 pound fresh Pineland Farms mozzarella cut into tiny dice (to yield about 1-1/4cup)
- 3 Tbs. Colavita extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp. freshly grated lemon zest
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pint (about 18) cherry tomatoes, rinsed and stems removed
- Colavita balsamic glace for drizzling
- In a medium bowl, stir the cheese, oil, basil, zest, 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 4 hours before assembling.
- When ready to assemble, slice each tomato in half (either direction is okay) and scoop out the insides with the small end of a melon baller or a teaspoon.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt. Invert onto a paper towel and let the tomatoes drain for 15 minutes.
- Fill each tomato half with a scant teaspoon of the cheese mixture and arrange on a serving tray. Drizzle with Colavita balsamic glace.
- Serve immediately as an hors d'oeuvre, or wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.