We just shared an awesome blog post with all of you on one of our participants who grew up on a organic vegetable farm. Some of the grandmothers favorite recipes were compiled in an article and we think they sound delicious enough to share! You've probably got lots of vegetables from your locals farmers markets or summer CSA and now we've got great recipes for you to use them in! We'll be revealing a new recipe each week, and this week's recipe is as followed:
FRESH ASPARAGUS SOUP
PREPARATION TIME: 25 MIN
COOKING TIME : 10 MIN YIELD: 6-8 SERVINGS
1/2 lb fresh asparagus
1 green onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 c each: butter, flour
2 teaspoon chicken stock base
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 c milk, scalded
1. Trim off asparagus tips, cut stems into smaller pieces. Place stems in a dish with 2 tablespoons hot water and cover. Microwave on high until soft, 3-4 minutes. Place tips in dish with 2 tablespoons water, cover, and microwave until soft; about 1 minute.
2. Cook green onion in covered microwave dish until tender, about 1 minute.
3. Puree asparagus stems and onion in blender or food processor until smooth.
4. Melt butter in saucepan. Blend in flour, pepper, and stock base. Gradually add scalded milk and cook, stirring until thickened and smooth.
5. Stir in pureed asparagus. Heat through. Add asparagus tips and serve hot